The Income Tax Department has launched the Electronic Furnishing of Return of Income Scheme, 2004 vide Notification dated 30.9.2004. Under this scheme eligible assessees can file their returns of income electronically through persons authorised to act as e-return intermediaries.
Deductors furnishing their TDS return in electronic form (e-TDS return) shall furnish the same to TIN facilitation centres established by NSDL. These centres spectively will forward one copy to the regional income tax office and a soft copy to the central database which holds the information on a central server.
With a view to ensure that the TDS returns filed on computer media conform to the required specifications, the person responsible for deduction or collection of tax at source and filing of TDS/TCS return on computer media shall ensure the following:
- Form No. 27A* (in the cases of tax deduction at source) or Form No. 27B* (in the case of tax collection at source) is duly filled in, verified and enclosed in paper format with the return on computer media.
- Form 27A/ Form 27B is required to be furnished separately for each TDS/TCS return.
- Tax deduction and collection account number (TAN) of the person responsible for deducting/collecting tax at source is clearly mentioned in Form No. 27A/Form No. 27B, as also in the TDS/TCS return.
- The particulars relating to deposit of tax at source in bank are correctly and properly filled in the table at item no. 6 of Form No. 24 or item no. 4 of Form No. 26 or item no. 4 of Form No. 27 or item no. 4 of Form No. 27E, as the case may be.
- The data structure of the return for tax deduction at source in Form No. 24 or Form No. 26 or Form No. 27 and for tax collection at source in Form No. 27E prepared on computer readable media conforms to the data structure prescribed by the e-filing Administrator authorised under the scheme for electronic filing of TDS/TCS returns notified by the Board.
- The control totals of ‘amount paid’ and ‘income tax deducted at source’ (deductee numbers may not match) mentioned on Form 27A/ Form No. 27B should match with the corresponding control totals in e-TDS/TCS return.
Therefore it is necessary and need to verify all PANs before submitting or filing of TDS Return and Avoid Default Notices with steep penalties owing to invalid PANs